Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 10:02:27 +0100
From:      Eelke Blok <e.blok@ieee.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Moving my home server to completely different hardware

Hi all,

I'm running a home server, which acts as an IP-forwarding machine for my
home network, does some webserving, mail, etc. It's currently based on a
Pentium 120, but I plan to move it to an AMD Athlon.About the only thing
that will remain the same is the hard drive and the two NICs in the machine.

What would be my best route? Fresh install? (Eeek, have to install
everything all over again). I think it should be possible to just take
the hard drive and put in in the new machine, boot a generic kernel and
then compile a new kernel for the new hardware, but I'm wondering
whether I'm missing something.