Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:31:09 -0500
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        David Groves <david.groves@imagination.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fonts, Staroffice and Postscript Printers.

Do a google search on staroffice fonts.  One of the first hits is a
page describing all the changes that have to be made, and a script
that does them for you.

The script has two problems: a leading /bin/bash, and it calls gawk
which is just awk on FreeBSD systems, so you'll need to change those.
It ran perfectly for me after those changes.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 10:53:35AM +0000, David Groves wrote:
> Having some problems with installing new fonts on a staroffice 5.2 with
> the target of printing to HP (M) series printers, with built in
> postscript support. The X server in question is 4.0.2, using a remote
> xfs (which as a 4 series, has built in truetype font support, but that
> doesn't really matter).
>
> Starting out with a particular truetype font, I've converted it into a
> postscript type 1 font (since this is all that Staroffice can print),
> using the tt2ps1 utility that can be found here -->
> http://leuksman.com/linux/ttfutils.html
>
> I've then used the type1inst port (the perl script) to add this to my X
> server, and this is successful, and I can see the font in xlsfonts, view
> it with xfontsel etc ...
>
> However, the next stage involves running the spadmin utility (as root),
> to add the font to the staroffice proprietary font/printing systems.
> Sadly, when following the instructions exactly as given in the setup
> guide, spadmin coredumps just as it is about to finish (after the dialog
> box telling you how to change your fontpath on a permanent basis).
>
> I've tried two more fonts, that were already type1 format, so it doesn't
> appear to be the conversion.
>
> I have also found this website --> http://linux.nf/stoffont3.html, with
> a description of the "under the hood" behaviour of the spadmin utility.
> In my case, the symlinks in /opt/Office51/xp3/pssoftfonts (or here,
> /compat/linux/usr/local/staroffice/xp3/pssoftfonts),, and
> xp3/fontmetrics/afm/ (similar path change). However the update to
> xp3/psstd.fonts that is supposed to be performed isn't.
>
> I've tried making this update by hand, but all attempts to do this just
> create which doesn't scale on screen (I don't mean gets larger, and
> pixelated, it simply looks the same size on screen at 12 point as at 96
> point), and prints as Times.
>
> Anyone done/seen this before ?
>

> --

Michael Lucas