Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:55:16 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help with natd and connecting Windows to LAN

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 01:58:20PM -0500, Jim Freeze wrote:
> Hi Crist:
>
> My gateway inside nic is a LinkSys network card.
> The pc nic is a Netgear FA311 card.
>
> What other info do you need?

If you go to the WinBox, what does it say for, 'arp -a'?

What does your dmesg(8) output for your NIC look like?

I must say that I have never seen anything like this before. As I tell
the guys I work with (the network group), at the physical layer if the
problem is more invloved than making sure that the wires go to the
right places and straight-through versus cross-over, I call them. If
there is a data layer issue, I'll handle getting the UNIX-boxes to do
whatever they need to[0], but as for the switches, VLANs, etc., I call
them.

[0] It is fun to play with MACs on Suns. Actually what is fun is the
absolute befuddled expression PC-centric types get when you explain to
them that all of the interfaces on a Sun have the same MAC address in
their default configuration. I wish some of the people who post to
this list asking why they get funny messages when they plug multiple
NICs from one machine into a hub or switch would try that with a
Sun. You can really have fun.