Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:09:17 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Yan V. Batuto" <batuto_NOSPAM@mailru.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Martin Krzysiak" <mak@irb.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
Subject:   Re: KDE-2.2 broken?

> I've done two installations this weekend
> with the ISO images (FreeBSD-4.4 release; i386).

> First machine was FreeBSD-4.3
> and updated to 4.4... no problems,
> except KDE-2.2 doesn't work.

> Second machine, full installation,
> no problems,
> KDE-2.2 doesn't work either.

- ---

> Symptoms:

> - - most kdm config files are missing

> after fixing kdm config files:
> - - most/all(?) icons/images are missing
> - - Segfaults with almost all applications
>    (especially kcontrol)

It looks like incompatibility of png library versions.
I encountered with the same problem when png was updated
from 1.0.*  to 1.2.0. KDE-2.2 was installed few days before
from ports tree and compiled with png-1.0.* headers, so it did not work
with new png-1.2 binary.

I think you have reverse variant:
KDE from release packages is compiled with new png headers,
but you have old png binary...

Good luck!
Yan V. Batuto