Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 17:07:49 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to discriminate between shell used in CLI andXWindowmode ?

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 19:59:38 +0200 (MET DST)  Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
 +------------------
 | On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Chris Fedde wrote:
 | > On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 17:39:38 +0200 (MET DST)  Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
 | >  +------------------
 | >  | Concrete: I want to leave csh  as root shell on the console and work as
 | >  | root with bash in X Window is it somehow managable ?
 | >  +------------------
 | > start an xterm then run "su -" in it, finaly run "bash --login".
 |                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 | > At that point you will have a bash shell as user root and run all root's
 | > .profile and .bashrc stuff
 |
 |    This is the point:probably , I was not precise enough.How to do it
 |    without typing bash --login.Let us try another way:How to set bash as
 |    root's default shell while in X?
 +------------------

Tell me a story about how you'd like this to work.  I can see several ways
that it might be setup but each has a slightly different "feel"

Are you running X our of xdm or are you starting it with startx?
When you start X are you running as yourself or as root?
What window manager are you using? When you access root are are you
starting su in an existing window or do you want a new window to pop up
with root bash in it?

I think that there are a lot of questions to think through before you can
get a simple answer.

good luck
chris

--