Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:20:20 +0000
From:      "Andreas Hofer" <ho@dsa-ac.de>
To:        Ron Dzierwa <RonDzierwa@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install problems

> Date:          Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:31:51 -0400
> From:          Ron Dzierwa <RonDzierwa@home.com>
> To:            Andreas Hofer <ho@dsa-ac.de>
> Cc:            freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject:       Re: Install problems

> Andreas,
>
> I've dug into this one fairly deeply.  I also thought about putting in the
>
> old tried and true wd driver, but didn't think it would work with the
> new kernel.  The fact that you got it to work is great, but, I think
> the install is looking for ad disks, not wd's so it still, sadly, finds
> none.  Maybe you could play some games with the major device
> number that the wd driver uses - make it appear to be the ad
> driver....
>
> the ctx laptop i'm using is not really that old.  I bought it new at the
> end of 1998.  The problem seems to be in a routine (pci_get_progif)
> that reads one of the registers from one of the pci chips.  It seems
> that it is returning a value that the ata driver does not recognize, and
> thinks that the ide controller that it is configuring is not a "master"
> device, and switches them from ata0 and 1 to ata2 and 3. There is
> a conditional at the top of ata_all.c that defines a macro which
> returns true or false depending upon the return value of get_progif.
> As an experiment, I dummied out the macro to always return true
> and the whole thing seemed to work.  I can't seem to make the
> kernel work with the install procedure - it gets through the boot
> and complains that init is missing...
>
> how did you build a kernel that is compatible with the install
> environment?

I have a running FreeBSD 4.1 workstation where I built the kernel on.

> ron.

Well, as I said, it is not really compatible with the install
environment. The kernel wd driver finds my controller and the
harddrive, but the installer says it cannot find any hard drive. I
guess that the device names (ad*) are hard coded in the installer
binary and therefore wd* is not even tried. Anybody who knows how to
change this?

Andreas

> Andreas Hofer wrote:
>
> > Hi, Ron, hi list,
> >
> > unfortunately I cannot help you very much. Just wanted to tell you
> > that you are not alone:
> >
> > I tried to install 4.1 (and 4.2) on a rather outdated notebook
> > (Oxford Artist, more or less identical to ACER notebook), facing
> > exactly the same problem as you. The standard install kernel did'nt
> > work at all.
> >
> > I then built a customized kernel with the older wd* devices  and
> > copied it over to the boot floppy. The kernel recognizes the
> > controller, the disk and everything looks fine, but the installer
> > still sees no disk.
> >
> > Maybe the installer is looking for the wrong nodes in /dev? Anybody
> > there who knows a way to get the installer recognize the wd* devices?
> >
> > Andreas

> > Ron Dzierwa wrote:
> >
> > I have a CTX EzBook 800 series on which I have used FreeBSD version
> > 2.2.6 since that version was current.  At the time I had to use some
> > of the PAO stuff to get the pcmcia enet to work, but everything else
> > seemed to work
> >
> > fine.
> >
> > I just bought a new disk, and figured i'd install 4.2.  The ata driver
> > does not seem to live happily with the disk controller, however.  and
> > even the floppy driver seems to be having a problem (fdc0: cannot
> > reserve I/O port range). The ata driver says: atapci0: <Generic PCI
> > ATA controller> port 0xfcf0-0xfcff,0x374-0x377,0x170-0x177
> > ,0x2f4-0x3f7,0x1f0-0x1f7 at device 18.1 on pci0 atapci0: Busmastering
> > DMA not supported ata2: at 0x1f0 on atapci0 ata2: unable to allocate
> > interrupt device_probe_and_attach: ata2 attach returned 6 ata3: at
> > 0x170 on atapci0 ata3: unable to allocate interrupt
> > device_probe_and_attach: ata3 attach returned 6
> >
> > later on, when the sysinstall menu comes up and i try to allocate disk
> > space it naturally tells me that there are no disks.
> >
> > the old kernel wd driver used to say:
> > wdc0: at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> > wd0: 3102MB 96354432 sectors), 6304 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/t, 512 B/s
> > wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <TOSHIBA
> > CD-ROM XM-1602B/1150>, removable, accel, dma, ior . ..
> >
> > I have tried enabling and disabling PNP in the bios, and using
> > auto/user config for the disks.  all combinations seem to yield the
> > same results - it cant init the disk controllers.
> >
> > I have another FreeBSD system that I use as a workstation.  I used it
> > to build a kernel for the boot flop that would stop in the fd driver (
> > while(1) i++; makes an effective stopper) so that I could see the ata
> > driver messages.  If anybody has any fixes or suggestions, I could
> > implement them and test them without any problem.
> >
> > any and all help is appreciated.  I really would like to use 4.2
> > rather than going back to the old 2.2.6!

> [...]
---