Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:48:49 +0200
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Gareth Bailey <blygar1@webmail.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ipmon & security log rotation

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 02:15:50PM +0200, Gareth Bailey wrote:
> I start ipmon at boot time with "/sbin/ipmon -D
> /var/log/security". Ipmon works fine but seems to stop
> logging entries to the security logfile when it is rotated.
>
> newsyslog.conf sets mode to 700, which should be fine since
> ipmon is run as root (i think?)

The file doesn't have to be executed so it should be 600.

Cron runs newsyslog. It send the output by mail (root accound by
default). What does the output say?

> How could i correct this?

This is my line:
/var/log/security                       600  3     100  *     Z

I don't run ipmon, so it could be that you need to give the pid file
afther it.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: