Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2005 02:15:56 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Derek <derekm@rogers.com>
Cc:        collin.mcclendon@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: Xmms FreeBSD and buzzing or skipping sound

Derek wrote:

> Collin McClendon wrote:
>
>> I've noticed for quite some time (at least on 5.x even before
>> -CURRENT) that if I'm unzipping or tarring a file that it is enough
>> to make xmms play mp3s with intermittent buzzing. I have a fairly
>> fast machine, dual athlon 1.53 Ghz with 1 GB of ram and a fully scsi
>> setup, 4 10K maxtors in a Raid 0 stripe set.
>

> Did you ever find a solution to this Collin?
>
> I've got a 5.3-STABLE SMP machine, with a promise RAID controller,
> RAID1, with snd_emu10k1.ko, and I get the same results...  Re-nicing
> xmms doesn't help either...
>
> Cheers,
> Derek

I noticed that no one has suggested this thus far so...

#sysctl hw.snd

#man sound
Runtime Configuration
     The following sysctl(8) variables are available:

           hw.snd.pcm%d.buffersize     Configure the amount of DMA
bufferspace
                                       available for a device.

           hw.snd.targetirqrate        Set the default block size such that
                                       continuous playback will achieve this
                                       IRQ rate.  This value can be tuned to
                                       improve application performance.
                                       Increase this value when the