Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2011 23:37:48 -0600
From:      Beach Geek <labeachgeek@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   usb errors with 8 stable

Compaq Presario 5xxx 2GHz
FreeBSD 8 r216866 Tue Jan 4 2011
(rm -rf /usr/obj/*  & make cleandir run before build)

When plugging in devices that worked earlier, none ever show up as devices
in /dev.  (2 examples listed below with error messages)
The devices work on an old Gateway box (450MHz) running FreeBSD 8 r216359
built Dec 11th (same build the laptop had).  I loaded files on the thumb
drives & Android phone using the Gateway before hitting the road.

I'm not sure if it's the update or hardware failure. I only have the laptop,
phone, and 4 usbdrives... no other hardware available.

Messages from 2 of the devices when plugged in; no messages when unplugged.
Device: Samsung m900 Android phone (Moment)
    usbus2: port reset timeout
    uhub_reattach_port: port 1 reset failed, error=USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
    uhub_reattach_port: device problem (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT), disabling port 1

Device: Verbatim 4GB thumb drive
    usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_IOERROR, ignored)
    usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed,
USB_ERR_IOERROR
    usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_IOERROR,
ignored)
    usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed,
USB_ERR_IOERROR
    ... above 2 messages repeated...
    ugen0.2: <Unknown> at usbus0 (disconnected)
    uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device

Any pointers or links to what could have changed in stable or any other
suggestions.
There aren't any usb options in BIOS.

I can provide more info, but please remember I'm using a 4inch screen and a
keyboard that fits in one hand.  ;-)
That's one reason I didn't include pciconf or usbconfig. I'm hoping it was
simply some commit I missed or a pointyhat mistake. Three weeks in the
middle of nowhere with a hardware failure... won't get much done, but ...
Android has games... doesn't it?  ;-))

Thanks for any help,
Beach Geek

PS. Android does not detect the laptop being connected, except for getting
power.