Date:      Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:01:51 +0100
From:      feczo@fw.hu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Subject:   Re: Setting diks geometry on disk which has already data on it

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 09:48:11AM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> Since you don\'t give any other information about what has been
> happening, it is hard to tell what might be the real problem.
since I thought it was geom problem, I only gave these details,
but I will give you more np

> What was the other system and controller?  What OS was it running?

Other system was nforce chipset onboard IDE controller
OS was Freebsd as well

> What have you tried?
not much, I already lost data when I have started
doing things without asking the more experienced ones
so Im a bit scared now :o

>  What errors do you see
it is a stripeset of 2 drives and
disklabel complains about the stuff on both drives like

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 156296322       63    unused        0     0        # (Cyl.    0*- 9728*)
  d: 156296322       63     vinum                       # (Cyl.    0*- 9728*)
Warning, partition c doesn\'t start at 0!
Warning, partition c doesn\'t cover the whole unit!
Warning, An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard system utilities

but AFAIK editing disklabel is also cases dataloss

of course when I would like to recreate the vinum config
it says
vinum stripe /dev/ad5s1d /dev/ad7s1d
Can\'t create drive vinumdrive2, device /dev/ad5s1d: Incorrect drive name vinumdrive2 specified for drive vinumdrive0

  Minőségi Szerver Hosting kedvező áron!  bővebben: http://ad.advert.hu/url.php?u=101

    Ingyenes (.hu) domain átregisztrálás + ingyenes fenntartás -> http://freeweb.hu

        (.hu) domain regisztráció + ingyenes fenntartás: 3.900Ft+Áfa! (2 évre)

SMSWEB: keress penzt a latogatoiddal! Garantalt bevetel -> http://freeweb.hu/smswebgyik.fw