Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 07:07:14 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD not mentioned on NPR "alternative OSes" show

On Jul 25,  2:00am, Open Systems Networking wrote:
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD not mentioned on NPR "alternative OSes" show
> On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Frank Pawlak wrote:
>
> > kissing your sister.  It just doesn't get you to the big show.  I know that
> > I'll draw heavy fire over this, but I feel that same way about competitors
in
> > the OS game.  Somehow we must win some turf battles and grab some major
> > headlines.  Linux will bury us just a well as M$ will.
>
> It's easy to get caught up in this, but I would just like to remind
> people, that *I* think were wasting time and effort competing with Linux
> as a desktop OS. I've been guilty in the past of trying to advocate that.
> But then I woke up to the reality that FreeBSD *IS* powering the internet.
> FreeBSD is not a lincoln log OS that has to be peiced together to work
> HARD. FreeBSD is a SERVER OS. One benefit of being such a NUCLEAR POWERED
> server OS is that it makes a nice desktop since its stable as, well stable
> as FreeBSD. People do not seem to get the idea of where FreeBSD is being
> used. It's in NOC's, embedded solutions, search engines, video solutions
> like at pluto, gigabit test beds like the myrianet project, link exchange,
> telephone companies, large ISP's like BEST, routing software like
> JunOS, etc.. etc..
> I dont want resources wasted on making FreeBSD look sexier, what *I* would
> rather see is energy spent on cleaning up and adding MORE robustness and
> features to our networking stack, then VM, then SMP. If your good at
> something stick with it and improve upon it dont divide and conquer.
> Stick with being a server oriented OS which we are, we blow the doors off
> everyone in that area on x86, and on other platforms as well. I think
> -core does a good job of keeping FreeBSD geared towards a server oriented
> OS. YEAH! I'm not trying to persuading you not to take up making FreeBSD
> look more sexy on the desktop, merely trying to get people to FOCUS on
> what our best chances of survival and ultimate goals should be. Our
> resources are limited, but we have the best talent on earth working on
> FreeBSD. And to quote mike o'dell at UUNET from an old ;login interview
> when asked (I believe) what flavor of UNIX will come out on top in the
> long run, he replied "I believe a BSD based solution will". So lets prove
> him right.
> Because the first time *I* boot a FreeBSD install medium that has buttons
> to click im throwing it out the window :-)
>
> Just my 9 cents worth,
>
> Chris

I have no quarrel with what you are saying.  In fact your are correct in every
respect regarding FreeBSD being a superior server platform.  We are on the some
page so far.  However, you better get the word out to Informix and Oracle.
 They apparently don't see FreeBSD in the same light as you do.  With all the
power that FreeBSD can offer as a server platform, the is no reason in hell why
Imformix and Oracle should not develop native binaries for FreeBSD.

Competing with Linux on the desktop are words that you put in my mouth.  Thank
you, but I'd rather that you would refrain from doing that.  What I'm talking
about above is competing at the server level, and somehow we are getting lost
and not recognized by the big names in the database industry.  IMO, this is
because there is a lot of mouth power in the Linux community extolling the user
base size.  Again given that FreeBSD is used in all the areas that you state,
we are not getting the headlines that draw the major players to port natives
apps to FreeBSD.  IMHO, that is a major problem.

As to easy to use installation and management tools, it is your privlege to
throw out the window any OS that has such tools.  However, sys and db admins
that have to manage 250 plus node networks dispersed over the globe will gladly
pick-up what you toss out.

BTW, one of the places that NT is gaining market share is in the low end UNIX
workstation market.  With the price performance ratio that FreeBSD has over NT
and Linux, there is no reason why we shouldn't own that market.  Those users
that have used UNIX workstation are all used to using X Windows.  We already
 have X Windows, and a little more sex in the looks department can't hurt.  You
don't like sexy looks, don't install it.  It's just that easy to have an OS
that you and I can both like and use to our complete satisfaction.  Anything
that attracts a larger user base is not a waisted resource.

>From you sig., I gather that we are in similar business.  If that's true, then
you know as well as I that to win the contract means getting in someone's face
with a superior game plan.  And that is where we are missing the mark with
FreeBSD.

Frank