Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:39:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <stefan@globalwire.se>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rwho and rwhod.

Stefan,

I searched for a way to do this myself, couldn't find it.

Stefan Cars said:
> Hi!
>
> I'm running rwho and rwhod on alot of machines on our network. The
> thing is that we have TWO different subnets. Our linux machines handles

Multiple linux machines, none of which are acting as a gateway between the
two said subnets?  If it's a gateway machine, this would make sense (to me
at least).

> this very well and rwho and ruptime shows all of our machines
> (regardless of what network they belong to). On our FreeBSD machines
> rwho and ruptime only shows the machines belonging to the same subnet.
> Why is this ?

rwhod sends it's packets via broadcast to the current subnet.  Obviously
the machines on the 2nd subnet are unable to receive the packets.  It'll
also send multicast over any available interfaces, but the ttl is set to 1,
so the only device that would receive that packet would be the device on
the far end of that interface.

> / Stefan
>
> PS. Sorry is this came twice

It did, but no worries.

--
Chris

"I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!"
     -- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire