Date:      Sat, 03 Jun 2000 20:44:37 -0300
From:      Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
To:        jmutter <jmutter@ds.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance Tuning

jmutter wrote:

> I'm going to be building a few (several) FreeBSD servers to use in a large
> mail environment.  Anyone have any hints or suggestions on what measures I
> might take to ensure peak performance from these boxes?  As far as
> hardware is concerned we're probably looking at a PIII/500-700
> (Whatever is current and available at the time) and a minimum 1G RAM,
> probably 2 to 4.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

1) Remove everything you dont want from your kernel.
2) statically link your daemons with a personal version of your libc
(remove what you won't use in your daemons).
3) softupdates.
4) SCSI/RAID devices (remove from kernel what you don't want)
5) write multithread daemons.
6) rewrite you IP stack, implements a multithread IP stack.
7) Rewrite you MM subsystem! remove the part that do garbage collection.
you will need to rewrite all you app, for instance pre-allocating all
the necessary memory at startup time, if you do that, be warned about
using re/m/alloc functions.......
8) ....
9) ....
10) Rewrite FreeBSD, design a YOUR-DAEMON-EMBEEDED kernel OS, for
instance, put your FTP in your kernel.... (ok! this is paranoia). This
kernel would, at least, have tools like telnet for you do your maintain
job.

--
Your mouse has moved.
Windows NT must be restarted for the change to take effect!

Reboot now?   [ OK]