Date:      Thu,  7 Feb 2002 23:30:31 -0500
From:      "gregbrooks" <gregbrooks@mail.blue-mouse.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Port-upgrading ineptness

All,

After noodling through this for two days, I've hit a wall and need
your help.

Problem definition: To enable PHP4 or mod_PHP, I need pdflib3, but
make install hits a snag because the current version is 4.x and it
can't find an earlier version.

Next stop: cvsup, thinking it'll upgrade my ports tree and (hopefully)
resolve the dependency problem. Typing in:

#cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile

gets me:

#Parsing supfile "ports-supfile"
#Release not specified for collection "host-cvsup15.freeBSD.org"

Contents of ports-supfile (sans comments) are below:

host=cvsup15.FreeBSD.org
base=/usr
prefix=/usr
*default host=cvsup15.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs
*default tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
ports-all

I've also tried default tag=HEAD per the handbook.

Sooo... two questions: how to fix the non-running cvsup (by the way,
the ports-supfile is in the root directory) and the bigger question:
am I even going about resolving this dependency issue properly? Would
a smarter approach just be to edit some dependency marker in the
makefiles for PHP and/or mod_php?

Many, many thanks!
Greg