Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:47:52 -0700
From:      Andy Clements <awc@candhsoftware.com>
To:        Mike Galvez <hoosyerdaddy@virginia.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM 325 Server install - hangs on scsi settle

Mike Galvez wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 03:49:30PM -0700, Andy Clements wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I have IBM 325 PCServer with one 200 Pentium Pro CPU and two SCSI HDD
>>drives and a SCSI CDROM.  I'm installing FreeBSD 4.9 via floppy and it
>>hangs when it says:
>>
>>Waiting 15 seconds for drives to settle
>>

>>I notice that it is accessing the cdrom, during the wait, but nothing
>>else happens.  I've checked the mailing list and all I see is to turn
>>the bios virus detect off.  It seem that quite a few people are having
>>this problem...
>>
>>any ideas? interrupt problem?
>>
>>please CC with your reply as I am not on the list.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Andy Clements
>>

>I have a couple of 325s with on-board SCSI, SCSI CDROM. Make sure that
>your SCSI devices are not set to the same ID as the SCSI card or each
>other.

The HDDs are on SCSI 0 and 1  and the CDROM is on 6.  At least that is
what the SCSI BIOS is saying.

Upon plying deeper into the problem I noticed that the ahc0 driver
(which is the correct driver for my Adaptec AIC-7880) is saying that
that there is an illegal configuration where there are more than two
controllers attached to the cable (or something to that effect,
unfortunately the machine is not in front of me).  I remove the CDROM
from the SCSI cable and still got the same message.  Is there something
I can do in the kernel configuration that would solve this?  I also
notice that IRQ15, where the SCSI is attached, is being used by an ATA
/ATAPI driver.  Is this correct?

I don't know whether this helps but I've installed FedoraCore1 on this
same machine with no problem - I would assume this leans towards the
fact that there may be no hardware/BIOS problem.

Thanks for your help so far!

--Andy Clements