Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 02:02:12 +0200
From:      Steve Mazerski <smazerski@yahoo.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: How big /var ? Or: too small for the xemacs package?

To answer my own questions...

I moved /var to a larger partition (see=20
http://www.freebsddiary.org/file-system-full.php for a HOW-TO)

> Questions:
> - I presume pkg_add puts temporary files in /var. Is this normal /
> sensible?=20

pkg_add uses /var/tmp. (any reason why not /tmp?).

> Or does xemacs suffer from exceptional bloat when being added?

xemacs is a whacking big package, even if you don't include
the LISP kitchen sink extensions ;-)

> Can I expect this kind of thing from other packages?

Presumably. During the installation /var  went from about 6MB to a maximu=
of 97MB, ever so slightly larger than the original partition.

> - what would be a reasonable ball park figure for /var?

On a desktop system a good couple of hundred MB? Even then it might
be prudent to symlink /var/tmp to a larger partion when installing bloatw=
are
;-)

> - The installation failure has left a lot of "orphaned" files littering=
 my
>   file system. Assuming I carry out the installation successfully a sec=
ond
>   time, these will be overwritten, and could be removed if neccessary w=
ith
>   pkg_delete?

I presume this would be the case.

Wiser.