Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:29:11 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using loopback mounts...

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Brian Poole wrote:

> Drives are extraordinarily cheap, even for the high quality ones, compared
> to skilled labor (which I assume you consider yourself ;).

however, the powers that be figure i'm a renewable infinite resource but
they are reluctant to chop down more Fibre Trees to get more drives :-)

> Hmm, this doesn't make sense. Your traffic costs 100$/gig, but you aren't
> affecting your traffic by mounting the ISOs as loopback. All you are
> affecting is the usage of disk drives, by saving 650 odd MB per ISO
> because you don't need have duplicate files. When you have to do this

no.. i loopback mount an ISO, copy the data out to the place it should be
and then rsync over the top to fix any oddities. then i unmount the ISO
image.

per ISO, this saves about 650M of downloaded traffic.  for a distro like
redhat, that can be 3G.  for freebsd, less so.

> Perhaps so, it would certainly make it more sensible in my opinion, as I'd
> be saving more HD space. However, I don't know how popular DVD images will
> be in the near future, even on cable|DSL ISOs still take quite a while to
> download, larger images would make this even slower. As well the number of
> DVD-Rs in public use is rather low I imagine.

i guess i was considering whether more buisnesses would prefer to have a
single DVD-R available.. i'd probably organize to snail mail DVD-Rs
when i think about it.

> And please, don't CC: me ;) I promise, I am on the list.

heh.. sorry, just a pine-ism.  everyone seems to do it.

-jason