Date:      Fri, 01 Sep 2000 09:15:36 +0000
From:      rob <europax@home.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Johannes Zwart <johannes@jak.nl>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not XEmacs, after all?

Mike Meyer wrote:

> rob writes:
> >   After I saw the first post I checked out Xemacs.  I have the latest
> > port, and it doesn't seem to render web pages very well at all.  In
> > fact, I couldn't find a single one that looked right.   What am I doing
> > wrong?
>
> At first guess, I'd say you're assuming there's such a thing as "looks
> right" for a web page. The rendering is controlled by the browser, not
> the author, and not all browsers render the same way that Netscape and
> MSIE do. At least some of the time, this has been because those two
> (which are both variants of NCSA Mosaic) were buggy and the others
> weren't. Properly written HTML will be readable in any browser if ugly
> in most of them. HTML written following current popular practices will
> be readable in the Mosaic browsers, and unreadable in other browsers.
>
> > I agree about Netscape.  I am waiting for Mozilla with all of the
> > features for FreeBSD. I will check out w3m today.   Rob.
>
> Be warned, it's *not* a GUI browser; it runs in an xterm. The pages
> will probably look less like what you expect than they do in Xemacs.
>
>         <mike

Actually, I would like to have some sort of text based browser that runs
in the console, but only if I can somehow configure it to start other
apps based on mime type.  I would like to see how this works out for
streaming mp3.

On a laptop, I have found that using the keyboard is much preferable to
a GUI.  I tell people that its why I like Unix on the laptop, and they
just look at me really wierd :)
Using the console also really helps out with my poor wrist which aches
after a week of mouse clicking at work on NT.

Rob.