Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:54:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
To:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange behavior of cron

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Sean O'Connell wrote:

> I think these were supposed to be part of his mail message, but
> were scrambled somehow... my mail client did it to me as well.
> I think he cut and pasted them into the mail message and put enough
> spaces around them that they looked like indivual mail messages.

The possibility that some of his posted messages were scrambled may well
be.  I saw only one example in his original post, however the following
three are from my machine and were definitely three separate messages.  He
says he received ten.

> > Subject: Cron <root@host>    adjkerntz -a
> > Abort trap
> > & 251
> > Message 251:
> >
> > Subject: Cron <root@host>    periodic daily 2>&1 | sendmail root
> > Segmentation fault
> > &
> > Message 252:
> >
> > Subject: Cron <root@host>    adjkerntz -a
> > Abort trap

I think it extremely odd that the two of us received such messages in the
same day.

Jim Weeks
-------- A mind is a terrible thing to lose!  How I miss mine..