Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2014 19:49:23 -0600
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions !!!!" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Stupid question ....

On 12/29/14 19:05, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 01:57:02 +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 05:55:00PM -0600, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>>
>>> .... I have been doing 'pkg upgrades' from an rxvt shell window for
>>> months now. They have been going mostly OK, with a few rectifiable
>>> glitches. Is it better/recommended to do so from the 'console' CLI, i.e.
>>> no desktop, no XFCE, etc., just plain login shell ? just checking ....
>> I don't think pkg will care much what kind of terminal it runs on. Or what
>> shell for that matter.
> I think the primary concern here is the observation that
> during a "pkg upgrade", the binaries (and other files)
> corresponding to the programs currently running will be
> overwritten. This _might_ caus problems when the in-memory
> image of a program doesn't "match" its on-disk counterpart
> (for example, for loading additional stuff), but in fact,
> I've never experienced this - I tend to use pkg from within
> a normal X terminal (xterm).

That (mem/lib mismatch) was indeed the concern. I did indeed finish this
upgrade under an rxvt shell & all went well. I like the ability to
scroll a *long* way back if necessary, hence my preference to run pkg
from the rxvt shell. All seems well for now, including my longstanding
issues w/ flash/linux-f10 .... *Hooooray* & thanks to all who labored to
get that resolved, I'm sure it was drudgery at times. Thanks &
congratulations, job well done :-) ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."