Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 12:41:19 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Adelberger=2C_J=F6rg?= <Joerg.Adelberger@IStech.de>
To:        "'FreeBSD Support'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Problem to run FreeBSD after installation

Dear Madam/Sir,
I hope you can help me with a hint because after having installed
FreeBSD 2.2.1 it refuses to run.
My configuration: PC with Intel Pentium 120 MHz,
1.7 GB Quantum HD and ATAPI CD-Rom on primary EIDE controller, 2.1 GB
Fujitsu HD on second EIDE controller.
The Free BSD "partition" is located on the second disk after an extended
DOS partition of 1,5 MB.
For installation I boot from floppy and then have to pass the initial
statement 'flags npx0 1', otherwise it will not continue. Trying to
resolve hardware conflicts by disabling devices which are not present
results in a hang-up, thus I leave this as it is. I choose the first and
the second drive for installation and create a 370MB slice on the second
HD, on the first nothing is created, this is only for getting the
bootmanager installed there. After the installation is completed I can
boot from the bootmanager options, the hardware is probed and then I
receive the message "Panic! Can't mount root" and the system is
restarted ...
I should be very grateful if you could give me some advice how to
overcome this problem and understand the reason of this error.
Thanks in advance
Joerg Adelberger

Joerg.Adelberger@IStech.de