Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 2003 06:53:48 -0500
From:      Rod Person <rodperson@comcast.net>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>, Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cdbakeoven doesn't see atapi burner

On Friday 14 November 2003 06:42 am, It was written:

> Ok... some of this was black talk to me. I just tested cdbakeoven as root,
> and the devices was recognised. So I get the "it's something about
> permission"-part. What I don't get is the "cdrdao"-thing; it's a tool/app/
> port, right? Don't have it installed.

cdrdao - CDR Disk At Once, the tool that allows you to record the entire cd at
once instead of track by track. I believe that cdbakeoven uses this tool to
detect the records, most of the other KDE recording apps do. I could be
mistaken it been sometime since I used cdbakeoven.

> But what is it I need to change the permission for? Do i need to set
> cdda2wav, cdrecord and cdparanoia to SUID? Or is it some device I need to
> set the r-bit for in dev/?

the user will need to be in the group that has access to the cd burner device,
most likely operator. That group will need rw access to the device. As for
cdrecord and cdparanoia I've not used them so I'm not positive how they work.

--
Rod

@ Home So No Cool Signature
AIM: TheRealRoddieRod