Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:49:42 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newuser

--IiVenqGWf+H9Y6IX

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 08:30:25AM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
>=20
> > On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 11:58:41PM -0400, James Bell wrote:
> > > =20
> > > I have BSD UNIX.
> > > =20
> > > What commands should I use from the root to create a new user.
> >=20
> > Essentially:
> >=20
> >     # pw useradd -n name -m
> >     # passwd name
> >=20
> > I suggest that you immediately read the pw(8) man page and the
> > appropriate section of the Handbook:
> >=20
> >     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/users.html
>=20
> Um ... no offense, Matt, but isn't that a bit overly difficult for a new
> user?

I think that's an unreasonably pessimistic view of the capabilities of
new users.  pw(8) is not (IMHO) particularly difficult to use.  Yes,
there are a lot of different options for doing various things, but if
you adopt the principle of not fiddling with the bits you don't (yet)
understand, pw(8) basically does the right thing.  pw(8) also has a
very nifty feature where you can just stick 'help' into the command
line and it tells you what options are available.
=20
> Try adduser ... the manpage is pretty informative.

TIMTOWTDI.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20