Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 16:23:33 +1100 (EDT)
From:      "Phillip" <phile@phile.com.au>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Specifying default route

>What's the correct way of specifying default route, if a machine has 2
>nics? I imagine there should be something like
>
>default_route="ed1"

I'm not sure why there isn't an option in /etc/rc.conf because I think
from memory this is setup at time of installation. And depending on
which machine is being used to route the packets into and out of your
network, it may or may not be on your local machine.

On my boxes, the line in /etc/rc.conf reads as:
      defaultrouter="123.45.67.8"
(this is obviously a fictional IP # - but note it is an IP number
and not an interface descriptor).

Cheers
Phillip