Date:      17 Oct 2002 20:32:34 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Robert Warning <cleeker@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New to BSD and have a few questions.

Robert Warning <cleeker@gmx.net> writes:

> My question is what are common pitfalls a Linux user finds in a BSD
> world?

-- Failure to post questions in traditional e-mail formats.  (You jumped
that pit quite nicely, thank you.)

-- Failure to skim the many resources (other than posting to lists) to
get familiar with what info is available.  Specifically, the stuff at
www.freebsd.org like the Handbook, the FAQ, the System Manual (AKA man
pages), and many other pages one or two links off the home page.  (Your
question was quite OK and not a FAQ, in my experience.)

-- An expectation that FreeBSD is very useful without high-speed
Internet access.  Others will disagree, but I think you'll find that the
solution to almost every problem involves downloading lots of stuff.

-- Failure to quickly get up to speed on these topics: ports/packages;
distributions/releases/ids-of-same; /etc/{,defaults}/{rc,make}.conf;
(At a more advanced level: kernel/world building/installing)

-- Security Levels.  Lots of people get a reasonably sounding level
during installation and are suprised to discover that they can't run X
above the lowest level.

-- Unfamiliarity with "csh" or "sh" and not knowing how to install
a more familiar shell. (Not that they should, but they often do.)

-- For some users, unfamiliarity with FreeBSD's fdisk, disklabel, and
newfs programs.  Many get by using /stand/sysinstall instead. (?)

-- Occasional hostility to closed-source-hostile copyleft sentiments.
(I guess that's not a COMMON pitfall, but you have been forewarned. :)

-- Most importantly (?), familiarity with:
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search;
    http://www.google.com/advanced_search

There's an article which aims to help Linux refugees at