Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:02:42 +0100
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing gnome2  with XFree86-4 - Why is this so difficilt?????

Someone, quite probably , once wrote:
>I'm actually running the re-install of XFree86-4 at the moment wihtout having
>done a make distclean. Is this the reason why for each component, it fails
>with "error: XFree86-4<component> already installed, perhaps an older
>version..,"?
>
>Would it be in my interest then to stop this and restart from the beginning?

It sounds like everything wasn't quite removed when you deinstalled.

ls /var/db/pkg | grep -i xfree

That should show up a few things that might need removing.  Else make
sure your ports tree is fully up to date and then run:

portversion -L =

That may show up a few out of date things that could be worth upgrading.

portupgrade -rR XFree86-4

The above might resolve a few issues if you are out of date.  Else it
might be worth thinking about packages this time:

pkg_add -r XFree86-4

Will get the latest binary and hopefully get you back to a working
state.  Then you could probably track X using portupgrade to reduce
hassle.

Kevin

kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk