Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 15:53:05 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
Cc:        Taavi Talvik <taavi@uninet.ee>, Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a two-level port system?

On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 01:02:50PM +0200, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> Folks, how about _admitting_ finally that our ports collection is a
> database? We wouldn't need anything else than standard system tools to
> maintain a ports.db file containing all that we want as DB records.

Rule #1: Any change to the ports collection must not make it harder
for the ports committers to keep the ports collection up to date.
Rule #2: Any change to the ports collection must not make it harder
   for people to help out with the ports collection.
Rule #3,4, and 5: Read rules #1 and 2 again.
Rule #6: It is nice (but not essensial) if the ports become faster
   and/or smaller than today.
Rule #7,8,9, and 10: Read rules #1 and 2 again, and understand their
   impact.

Eivind.