Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 19:31:28 -0000
From:      "Sylvian Knight" <sylvian_knight@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kens@micro2000.com
Subject:   Trouble sending mail

I am very new at this so please be gentle.

The current box is built with 3.2 Release and Sendmail 8.9. The person who
set it up is no longer available and I have been given the task of upgrading
to the more secure 4.2 with Sendmail 8.11. I am also using Popper.

The only thing this machine will be used for is sending and receiving
outside mail and only for one domain.

On the old machine I noticed all users have a .user.pop file in /var/mail.
These are not being created on the new machine and I could not send or
receive until I created one for my own account. Now I can at least pop my
mail from a remote machine but still cannot send and the error message in
the mail log is reject 550 Relaying denied. Actually removing the ability to
relay from undesirables was why I started this project to begin with but I
would like to send from my own domain :)

I am able to forward mail outside from the server itself just not from a
remote workstation on the network.

The files I have edited based on the config files of the 3.2 machine are:

rc.conf
inetd.conf
db.mydomain
db.192.168... (inside)
db.213.103... (outside)
localhost.rev
named.conf
aliases (including running 'newaliases')
sendmail.cf
local-host-names

I would include config info if I knew what would be helpful. I'm sure it's
something simple I've overlooked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not on the list so please respond directly.

TIA
Ken
kens@micro2000.com
stealth93@mediaone.net