Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 04:10:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Niall Brady <bradyn@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting a hard disk kernel from a floppy bootloader...

Hi All,

I've being having some problems preparing a boot floppy which will allow
me to boot the hard disk kernel, by booting off the floppy.

(using FreeBSD 3.2-Release on a Gateway P150 16MB ram, 2.5GB IDE disk, 2
CDs, 1 floppy, vt320 off cuaa0, PNP modem;
everything else is working perfectly, ppp, printers, sound etc.)

At the moment, I've tried the following configuration (list of relevant
files and their contents from floppy/boot [contents are mirrored on hard
disk in /boot ]
{note: executables are the same as on the standard install floppy}

	/boot.config
	------------
		-P

	/boot/loader.rc
	---------------
		set currdev=disk1s2a
		load /kernel
		load -t userconfig_script /boot/kernel.config
		autoboot 5

	/boot/kernel.config
	-------------------
		pnp 1 0 os enable irq0 3 drq0 0 port0 0x2f8
		pnp 2 0 os enable port0 0x220 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5
		pnp 2 1 os enable port0 0x200

At the moment what happens is... (sorry, don't know how to capture exact
text from boot process...)

	boot: -P
		keyboard found

	FreeBSD blahdeblah
	Loader blahblah jkh@cathair

	Cannot find /kernel; press [ENTER] to boot immediately,
	or any other key for prompt.

So normally, if the floppy is left alone, it will find /kernel on the hard
drive eventually, but won't load the kernel.config script, which means
that the modem and sound card won't be configured.

However, at this point, if I go to the loader prompt, it shows up as...

	disk1s2a>

(as I put into loader.rc in the "set currdev=" command)

Then, at this point, if I execute the following commands...

	load /kernel
	load -t userconfig_script /boot/kernel.config
	boot

All goes grand... everything loads as planned; only thing is I need to be
at the console to do this.

I can't fully understand the order in which things are happening... it
seems as if  loader  is on disk1s2a, but for whatever reason kind find
/kernel, and bombs out of loader.rc

Perhaps I'm missing something in boot.config?

Any advice or help at all would be very much appreciated!

--
	Niall