Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 2004 10:09:37 +0100
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about a usb adsl modem driver

El S=E1bado, 4 de Diciembre de 2004 01:56, Bruce M Simpson escribi=F3:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 09:25:56PM +0100, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > But noted strong differences between atm boards and adsl modems.
> >
> > - atm boards are hardware assisted.  usb adsl modems are bare
> > assisted. - atm boards support better signaling, multiple channels,
> > ... usb adsl modems just one PVC with uni signaling.
>
> Not really. See below.
>
> > So I realize that try to get a NATM/NETGRAPH hardware driver may be
> > too work for little gain.
>
> Actually writing a NATM driver is far easier than writing a HARP
> driver. And Harti's newer drivers for ATM cards are, in fact, NATM
> drivers. You only need to implement Netgraph hooks. You don't need to
> worry about implementing Netgraph protocol nodes, generally.

I think so.  The actual ueagle driver do that, only needs NetGraph=20
aditions.

My objections to implement NATM are related to the final operation. =20
What you get througt NATM is of low interest for usb adsl users.

You don't need signaling managers, multipe channels, ...

I think that a direct, one PVC, usb adsl version of ng_atm will do the=20
work.  I think implement the netgraph support directly in the usb=20
driver.

About the rest of the ng_ nodes involved, I think the only problem is=20
ng_atmllc.

To be a generic aal5 frame diverter, it lacks some funtionality like=20
VCMux support or ppp VcMux/LLC autoswitch.

> You might want to contact Benno Rice, he was working on a software
> AAL5 kernel module to augment netnatm, which would help if you're
> targeting the lower end ADSL hardware.

My initial plans was implement this as part of the driver,  but I no=20
have any objections to this.  But I'll prefer take this in the future,=20
when we have a working driver (Well, another.  ueagle really works on=20
RELENG_5).

Any pointer on this is welcome.

=2D-
  josemi