Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:55:59 +0200
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        Jim <stapleton.41@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: detachable x session (X11 application that acts like sysutils/screen)

El día Monday, April 12, 2010 a las 06:46:43AM -0500, Jim escribió:

> Has anyone done anything with a program that acts like sysutils/screen
> but with an X11 screen instead of a terminal? x2x and xnest both look
> like they have some promise. Basically I work on projects located on
> one of two systems, but I may bounce between another set of
> workstations where I am physically located. If I am handling something
> that I can work on console-only without trouble, I use
> sysutils/screen, however some times I either need X, or X would be a
> bit more effective for me. I'd like to be able to leave a xsession
> running somewhere and be able to detach it and reattach to it between
> login sessions.
>
> Has anyone had experience doing this? What programs do you use?

I did this in the past to monitor from home or over the weekend how
certain long run operations, having xterm as their start env, or even
browsers to run Jelly scripts into some database. I used for this a
normal Linux workstation here in house and connected to this from my own
laptop or from remote with vncviewer. Works fine and without much to
install/configure.

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211