Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:47:24 -0500
From:      "fbsd_user" <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Spiros Papadopoulos" <spap@avrolymos.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 3com mini-pci modem

Your internal PCI modem maybe a winmodem and
native FreeBSD does not support this.

Internal modems are manufactured for two target markets, MS/Windows
and
every thing else. Winmodems are cheep because the hardware
controller
function is handled by the software you have to install into
windows.
This hardware controller function is contained in a chip on the
modem
circuit board. Winmodems are missing this chip and have a
replacement
chip that directs the modem to use driver software running in the
windows system to perform the controller function. The most common
replacement chip is manufactured by Lucent. There are many versions
of
this Lucent chip each version needing a different software driver
version.

Up until version 4.4, FBSD did not have any solution to using
Winmodems, but with the release of 4.4 the ports collection contains
the  "Linux Winmodem 'ltmdm' driver" which was ported to FBSD.
This port is very poorly documented, only works with a limited
number of Lucent chip version, and is unreliable.  Your whole
internet
connection is managed by your modem and trying to shoe horn a modem
specially manufactured for the MS/Windows operating system into FBSD
is not the way to achieve a satisfactory dialup connection.

To summarize.
For the FBSD newbe who does not know how to install a
port, should use an external serial modem for connecting their FBSD
box
to the internet. This method works using the default generic kernel,
creates no irq conflicts with the motherboard bios, and will work
right
out of the box so to say. All serial modems use the PC's serial
ports'
controller built into the motherboard. This has been the standard
since
PCs first came out

Trying to use a PCI internal winmodem and the Linux Winmodem 'ltmdm'
driver port is not easy. The 'ltmdm' driver port installations
instructions are so inadequate as to make it darn near imposable to
get
the ltmdm port working on your modem.

Its up to you if you want to try the ltmdm port, but using am
external
modem is a sure thing.