Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:53:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer2@gwdg.de>
To:        Rus Foster <rghf@fsck.me.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increasing inodes

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Rus Foster wrote:

> Hi All,
> I've just hit a problem in that I've just tried to compile stuff out of
> ports and hit
>
> / : create/symlink failed, no inodes free
>

> df -i show's I've used 98%. Without a newfs is there any way I can
> increase the number of indoes (deleting stuff is not really an option)
>
> Rgds

Afaik, two possibilities:

1) You need to dump(8) your filesystem, recreate it with a smaller number
   of bytes per inode (newfs -i ...), and restore(8) the data.
2) You could increase the size of your file system by using growfs(8) if
   unused space is left in the disk; the number of inodes will grow, too.

Best regards

Konrad Heuer (kheuer2@gwdg.de)  ____            ___  _______
Germany