Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:35:37 +0100
From:      "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
To:        "Lorenzo Cavassa" <Lorenzo.Cavassa@ALPcom.IT>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dell or Compaq

----- Original Message -----
From: Lorenzo Cavassa <Lorenzo.Cavassa@ALPcom.IT>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2000 12:16
Subject: Dell or Compaq

> Because i'm involved in the task, i'm searching for the best hardware
> platform that can supply the same services with the same overall speed.
>
> I'm oriented to buy Dell or Compaq (Intel) servers (one or more), but i
have
> several questions about:

I know a lot of people will disagree with me and it is not my intention to
start another religious war, but to the best of my ability, I keep Compaq
out of my shop on principle.  Others in the organisation have sneaked them
into my regret.

The reason?  _Nothing_ is off the peg with Compaq.  Everything, it seems,
needs special drivers if not special Compaq hardware which costs three times
as much as off the shelf stuff from reliable manufacturers.  And I have a
constant performance problem with the few machines we own.  The funny thing
is the people who were so keen to get them in the first place are unable to
configure them.  I found one of them displaying 16 colours, sound card
unconfigured and running like a one-legged dog in syrup.  It was being used
as a workstation by our CEO.  I've managed to fix the first two - special
drivers from Compaq's home site, of course: standard ATI and ESS drivers
were no use - and I'll be trying to fix the latter this week.  Maybe I'll
replace it - a 450 Mhz PII - with an old 50 Mhz 486 I've got lying about...

On the other hand, the Dell I have as my principal machine at home gives me
no problems and first class performance - although I am a bit surprised that
they make use of cable-select for hard drive control.

Just my $0.02

mvh/regards

James