Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 11:30:08 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, jb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Day After, initial reports.

> No idea, but I can also note that the fix to Makefile.i386 didn't
> work; /etc/objformat still overrides it and the resulting kernel
> still blows up in the link stage. :)

Right -- the fix isn't complete.  There are still BINFORMATs
lingering in there.  Also, I think the right fix needs to explicitly
add "-aout" to CFLAGS if OBJFORMAT is aout.  Just setting OBJFORMAT
in the makefile doesn't automatically export it to the environment
where the tools can see it.

John B. is probably asleep by now, and I'm loathe to mess with it
since he knows better than I how he wants it.  Please just manually
set OBJFORMAT=aout and BINFORMAT=aout in your environment when
building kernels, until this is fixed.

John