Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2012 03:25:18 -0400
From:      Jesse Hagewood <jesse.hagewood@gmail.com>
To:        soc-status@freebsd.org
Subject:   Improve BSD-Licensed Text Processing Tools

Progress report 2.

At the beginning of the week, I began trying to implement the roff requests
.ns and .rs in mdocml. I was having trouble, and looked to the mdocml
mailing lists for advice and more information. Ingo Schwarze from the
mailing list stated that I cannot realistically implement all of the
requests/macros I had originally set out to do. Kristaps Dzonsons advised
me to avoid roff unless it is necessary, and suggested that I implement
.ns/.rs as a man macro instead of a roff request. I spent part of this
weekend working on implementing .ns/.rs as man macros.

Here are the macros/requests I will try to complete before June 17th:

.ns
.rs
.ti
.ta

Also, Dag-Erling wanted me to run all of the man documents in FreeBSD
through mandoc to try to see which ones would not compile. Here is the
output from stderr when running them all through:

https://socsvn.freebsd.org/socsvn/soc2012/jhagewood/mdocml/mdocml-manpage-errors.txt

Although I didn't make as much progress as I hoped to this week, I learned
a lot of information about the way mdocml is structured, and I have a much
better idea of how I will implement these macros.