Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:07:08 +0900
From:      Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sbp + drive enclosures

At 13 Feb 2003 11:04:46 +1030,
Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> It DOES work - when I plug it in it's detected and probed. I could
> fdisk/disklabel/newfs the drive and mount it. It even goes pretty fast
> :)
>
> Unfortunately when I disconnect it the firewire half seems to notice,
> but it doesn't notify the SCSI layer :(
This seems FAQ, I should add description to manpage..

This is intentional because some drive might be
failed to be proved after bus reset. To prevent detaching
mounted filesystem, it's not detached at first bus reset.
After several bus reset it will notify to the SCSI layer.
Try 'fwcontrol -r' several times or don't worry about it too much :-)

This behavier enables us active filesystem detaching and reattaching.
Even while the some process is writing/reading activily on the
filesystem it sould be safely detached and then reattached safely.

If your drive doesn't have important data, try detach and reattach
while running 'iozone -A' :-)

> If I try a 'camcontrol rescan' it hangs in cbwait (not sure how long,
> but I left it for >30 minutes with no change). If I reinsert the drive I
> get a panic 'malloc(W_WAITOK) in interrupt context'.

Do you have traceback? which malloc caused panic?

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
PGP public key: http://www.sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~simokawa/pgp.html