Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:04:02 -0700
From:      "Greg Smith" <freebsd_mail@myrealbox.com>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more info on thinkpad audio

Vincent,

Just for you I got the 600 out of the closet ;)  Below is the Windows
summary of resource usage.  Note that this is a 600 so that the sound
is ISA on IRQ 5.

I also executed the following command:

ps2 pciirq 11 9

and later

ps2 pciirq 11 9 4

and it seemed to take.

Note that this will only work if you have available an irq which is
acceptable for the BIOS.  I have disabled certain devices, with ps2
commands, to free up irqs.  Type the following command to learn what is
acceptable and available:

ps2 ? irq

Output of this command before, after assigning IRQ 9 and also after
assigning IRQ 4 are below too.

I also reran the resources report to show that Windows spread the
devices over the 3 PCI IRQs after they were available.  So I really
don't think the BIOS is to blame.

The BIOS on the 600 seems to support 4 PCI IRQs, and on the T23 8 PCI
IRQs (I did not test the latter).

HTH,

Greg

====resources before====

       IRQ Usage Summary:
         00 - System timer
         01 - Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
         02 - Programmable interrupt controller
         03 - ThinkPad Data Fax Modem
         03 - ThinkPad Digital Signal Processor
         05 - Crystal PnP Audio System CODEC
         06 - Standard Floppy Disk Controller
         07 - Printer Port (LPT1)
         08 - System CMOS/real time clock
         10 - ThinkPad Digital Signal Processor
         11 - Texas Instruments PCI-1250 CardBus Controller
         11 - Intel 82371AB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
         11 - Texas Instruments PCI-1250 CardBus Controller
         11 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
         11 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
         11 - NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD
         11 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
         12 - PS/2 TrackPoint
         13 - Numeric data processor
         *14 - Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller

       DMA Channel Usage Summary:
         00 - Crystal PnP Audio System CODEC
         01 - Crystal PnP Audio System CODEC
         02 - Standard Floppy Disk Controller
         04 - Direct memory access controller
         07 - ThinkPad Digital Signal Processor

====before====

Command Syntax : PS2 ? IRQ
Description    : Display the current IRQ assignments.
Current State  :
                        System IRQ Assignment

                                            IRQ Level
                                            3 4 5   7 9 10 11 15
Serial-A (3 or 4)                   :         X
Parallel (5 or 7)                   :               O
Internal Modem First IRQ            :                    O
     (3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, or 15)
Internal Modem Second IRQ (3 or 4)  :       O
WSS/Sound Blaster/FM                :           O
     (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)
MIDI port (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)   :                 X
IR (3 or 4)                         :         X
Secondary IDE (UltraBay)            :                          O
Secondary IDE (Docking station)     :                          X
Third IDE                           :                       X
PCI IRQ                             :                       O

  where    O: Currently assigned,
           X: Will be assigned after "Enable" is selected.

====after====

Command Syntax : PS2 ? IRQ
Description    : Display the current IRQ assignments.
Current State  :
                        System IRQ Assignment

                                            IRQ Level
                                            3 4 5   7 9 10 11 15
Serial-A (3 or 4)                   :         X
Parallel (5 or 7)                   :               O
Internal Modem First IRQ            :                    O
     (3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, or 15)
Internal Modem Second IRQ (3 or 4)  :       O
WSS/Sound Blaster/FM                :           O
     (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)
MIDI port (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)   :                 X
IR (3 or 4)                         :         X
Secondary IDE (UltraBay)            :                          O
Secondary IDE (Docking station)     :                          X
Third IDE                           :                       X
PCI IRQ                             :                 O     O

====after 3====

Command Syntax : PS2 ? IRQ
Description    : Display the current IRQ assignments.
Current State  :
                        System IRQ Assignment

                                            IRQ Level
                                            3 4 5   7 9 10 11 15
Serial-A (3 or 4)                   :         X
Parallel (5 or 7)                   :               O
Internal Modem First IRQ            :                    O
     (3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, or 15)
Internal Modem Second IRQ (3 or 4)  :       O
WSS/Sound Blaster/FM                :           O
     (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)
MIDI port (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)   :                 X
IR (3 or 4)                         :         X
Secondary IDE (UltraBay)            :                          O
Secondary IDE (Docking station)     :                          X
Third IDE                           :                       X
PCI IRQ                             :         O       O     O

====resources after====

       IRQ Usage Summary:
         00 - System timer
         01 - Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
         02 - Programmable interrupt controller
         03 - ThinkPad Digital Signal Processor
         03 - ThinkPad Data Fax Modem
         04 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
         04 - NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD
         04 - Texas Instruments PCI-1250 CardBus Controller
         05 - Crystal PnP Audio System CODEC
         06 - Standard Floppy Disk Controller
         07 - Printer Port (LPT1)
         08 - System CMOS/real time clock
         09 - Texas Instruments PCI-1250 CardBus Controller
         09 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering