Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 01:46:29 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Dag-Erling Smorgrav" <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, "Tani Hosokawa" <unknown@riverstyx.net>
Cc:        "David Kelly" <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, "Morten Seeberg" <morten@seeberg.dk>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SGI Donated Journalised FS Source to Linux

	FWIW, my lawyers don't agree. If a derived work requires the original work
in order to be used, you can steal from the original all you want.

	For example, if I make a replacement foo.sys for Windows 98, I can steal
from Windows 98 all I want so long as the finished foo.sys can only be used
with Windows 98.

	After all, what good does it do to steal something if you can only give it
to those who already have it? What would Microsoft's damages be?

	Similarly, a kernel module may have to steal from the kernel, but since it
can only be used with the kernel, the same rule applies.

	DS