Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:58:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ean Kingston" <ean@hedron.org>
To:        "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum vs. DPT smartcacheIV raid

> I have a box with DPT PM2044 SmartCacheIV UW-SCSI PCI cards which can do
> RAID-5 in hardware, but I'd have to use the DOS volume manager to set up
> the array. I have heard reports that vinum woudl be faster than using the
> native card. Is this true?

Doubtful, though I have heard that there are some rare special
circumstances where software raid can be faster. Given your hardware, you
will probably not experience those conditions.

> Should I not bother with doing the hardware
> raid
> and just go with vinum?

Use the hardware RAID, especially if you are going to use a simple RAID
configuration (like one big RAID-5 virtual disk). Just make sure you have
some way of figuring out if one of the disks goes bad. Worst case you
could boot off a DOS floppy once in a while to make sure all the disks are
still good.

--
Ean Kingston

E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org