Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:00:10 +0000 ()
From:      Rodney C Forbes <forbesr@rl.af.mil>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Email config problem

I don't think you need to specify the A record twice.  All you should have to do
is specify the CNAME record below the SOA.

[Top of file]
@		IN	SOA	domain.name root.ns.domain.name. (
			1997033101	; serial (use YYYYMMDDXX)
			3600		; refresh
			3600		; retry
			3600000		; expire
			86400)		; minimum

		IN	CNAME	mailhost.domain.name.
[rest of file]

By all means, correct me if I am wrong.

I wouldn't do it this way anyway.  I don't think pinging domain.name should
return a positive response as it isn't a real host.  I do think sending mail to
user@domain.name should succeed.  To accomplish this, you simply define the mail
exchanger.

[Top of file]
@		IN	SOA	domain.name root.ns.domain.name. (
			1997033101	; serial (use YYYYMMDDXX)
			3600		; refresh
			3600		; retry
			3600000		; expire
			86400)		; minimum

		IN	MX	10	mailhost.domain.name.
[rest of file]

No matter which method you use, a small change will be required to either
sendmail.cf or sendmail.cw.  By default, sendmail will not deliver mail sent
this way.  You will need to tell sendmail that you are accepting mail sent to
another FQDN.  I don't remember the exact line in sendmail.cf that required a
change, but I believe sendmail.cw takes care of this now.  It has been a while
since I had to do this myself, and I am not near the network I did this to.
Perhaps some other kind soul will elaborate more here.

forbesr@rl.af.mil (Rodney C Forbes - PRC Inc.)

Hendra Sentono stands accused of saying:
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 15:03:40 +0700 (JVT)

--
forbesr@rl.af.mil (Rodney C Forbes - PRC Inc.)