Date:      Sun, 25 Dec 2005 10:14:17 +1100
From:      Rowdy <rowdy@netspace.net.au>
To:        plcplc@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umass detected, but da is never created

Philip Lykke Carlsen wrote:
> I have this external harddisk kit, and when I plug it in, the system
> correctly recognizes it as a umass.. but afterwards, the da device is
> never created..
>
> this is what I get from the console:
>
> umass0: vendor 0x05e3 USB TO IDE, rev 2.00/0.33, addr 2 umass0: BBB
> reset failed, TIMEOUT umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
>

> Also, the very same thing but the timeouts are happening if I connect
> an Apple iPod..
>
> And for the record, I had this problem with both the generic and my
> custom kernel.. both with umass,da,ses,pass compiled in..
>
> Any ideas as for how to solve this? Any guidelines and I'd gladly
> edit the files in question and submit a patch, when I get it
> working..
>
> PS, Any other usb-drive I've tried has worked without problems..

Greetings,

I have an external USB enclosure into which I can plug either of two IDE
hard drives, each in a separate caddy.  One works perfectly, the other
produces something very similar to the above error fairly consistently,
and triggers reboots of the FreeBSD (5.3) box when the enclosure is
plugged in or out with the 'broken' caddy inserted.

After some experimentation and close examination, it appears that the
cable inside the 'broken' caddy may have been slightly damaged.
Manipulating the cable (squashing it down into the caddy so the sliding
caddy lid does not scrape against it) appears to go some way towards
solving the problem.

So in my case I would say that it was a hardware (cabling) problem
within the caddy, and thus within the USB enclosure.

Other USB devices, including the second caddy and a couple of flash
drives, seem to work fine.

Rowdy