Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 02:03:26 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, humprey@linux1.dlsu.edu.ph, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tun0 message

> > unless you have to."  :-)  It's a normal message, but unless you have to,
> > don't run routed; disable it in /etc/sysconfig.
>
> And why not run routed?  Because it is not in my interest?  Or whose?

Because routing is a very complicated subject, which very few people
really understand, and routed has a nasty tendency to delete routes
that are still in use, create bogus ones, etc.  Users whose only
contact with a network is dialling up their ISP don't need it anyway,
so the best advice to give to people in that situation is to tell them
not to run it.

People who are running ISPs or large networks, on the other hand, can
probably afford to spend time in getting their routing straight, or
even just shell out for a dedicated router.  (And if they can't, there
isn't much I could say that would help them!)

> This advice is often given and never explained.  I find that not
> running routed causes long delays in booting and also in running
> some programs.

This sounds more like a name server problem - if a name server lookup
fails, it stops and waits for 75 seconds (which usually feels more
like 15 minutes!).  Try putting the "hosts" line before the "bind" one
in /etc/host.conf, and putting entries for machines you frequently use
in /etc/hosts.  eg I have

/etc/host.conf
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hosts
bind

/etc/hosts
~~~~~~~~~~
127.0.0.1               localhost

158.152.42.77           jraynard.demon.co.uk
158.152.254.254         news.demon.co.uk
158.152.1.72            post.demon.co.uk

The entries refer to my machine, my ISP's Usenet news server and their
mail server (which I use as a smart SMTP host).

If you are permanently connected to a network, it's probably worth
setting up a cache-only nameserver on your machine.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk