Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 14:05:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        wardd@khis.Kodak.COM (Doug Ward)
Cc:        questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: NFS hanging up

 I BELIEVE THE PROBLEM IS THE ETHERNET CARDS..
(oops.. cap-lock)
This MAY NOT be your problem, but has been the case for many people..

a lot of older enet cards (including that one I think) only have
8k of buffer space that has to be used for xmit and rcv.

NFS tries to do 8k operations by default
so every time a server sends it an 8K burst  of data,
your (rather slow 386) PC drops one of the packets
and the 8k UDP packet is never transferred completely..
the NFS code retries, but that just results in the same 8K burst
of data, and of course some is missed again.... ad-infinitum...

read the man-pages for fstab,  mount_nfs and mount, and set the read and
write size to 2K.
that way, each request is likely to succeed :)
adjust to suit your system.

if you can get a card with 16K buffers (or a faster processor)
you will find that 8k transfers start working again. :)