Date:      08 Dec 1997 22:18:40 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: isa.c

Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com> writes:
> > > And those would be?
> > Amongst other items, lack of a suitable backup device
> No need to backup.  It's a piece of cake to upgrade w/out doing a

In my book, there is a difference between what is possible and what is
actually advisable. For instance, it is quite possible to just switch
your computer off when you're done, without thrashing your file
systems; however, most people prefer to quit all applications, log out,
and shut down properly, because they want to be *sure* not to thrash
their file systems. Similarly, although it is possible to install
2.2.5 over 2.2.1 without any problems, most people will prefer to back
up their data first.

Some day, IMCFT, I'll try what you suggest, then 'accidentally' screw
up, lose everything, and watch you trying very hard not to tell me I
should have backed up.

By the way, one of the other items on my list is that I need to
repartition my hard drive. I'm sure you'll tell me I can do that
without backing up, too.

> backup/restore.  Just download the sources, do a 'make world', re-config

"Just download the sources" is easier said than done with a v34 modem.

> and install a new kernel, and reboot.  A few hours work, but certainly
> not rocket science.

What if my system is slightly "customized", and things stop working
after the upgrade? Amongst other things, there is quite a bit of brain
damage in 2.2.1 boot scripts, which I have tried to remedy by custom-
izing said scripts.

> > and reports of degraded performance in 2.2.5R.
> I haven't seen many of those reports, and I haven't experienced any

I know people (*not* FOAFs, but real people with names and faces) who
have experienced quite serious problems, amongst other things with
SCSI performance, after upgrading from 2.2.1R to 2.2.5R.

--
 * Finrod (INTJ) * Unix weenie * dag-erli@ifi.uio.no * cellular +47-92835919 *
  RFC1123: "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"