Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:02:57 -0500
From:      Server Admin <admin@sage-one.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting up HTTPS on Separate Server

On a new server just configured, I am running FBSD 4.5 and it is a gateway,
(with natd/ipfw) does DNS caching, virtual hosting, mail server, FTP and
HTTP with a LAN attached. All of this is working very well and am very
pleased.

Also, use a dynamic IP at the moment, but one or more static IPs can and
may be obtained.

I've struggled for several days to install apache+mod_ssl-1.3.24+2.8.8 from
ports on this same server, but it doesn't want to co-exist with some other
mods and complains about "this module might crash under EAPI! (please
recompile it with -DEAPI)" One of the mods is Frontpage and another is the
same mod-ssl that is in the combo port. I haven't the foggest idea what the
recompile it with -DEAPI means, nor where to find out! (no good Google
results...no handbook, Daemon News, etc....). Perhaps a mod to the
Makefile..??? But, what?

I've just about given up on this approach of trying to run HTTP/HTTPS on
the same server and looking for a line of least resistance, even if I have
to run a separate connection to another server. Sigh, it's just beyond me
(for the moment and time is of essence) and I'm given up after about 5-6
installs. FrontPage is especially a problem no matter what, but gotta have it.

Perhaps I could consider another route and set up a secure server (private
IP 192.168.0.7) coming/going through the above server gateway to also
handle strictly HTTPS on the port 443 using a separate dedicated domain for
just this purpose.

I've looked at several methods, i.e., port redirect, proxy, but not sure
with the present dynamic IP that any are going to work well. I do have
dynamic DNS service so no problem there. It just looks difficult to
configure without a static IP. Is this correct or is it a conceivable
approach?

Hoping for some advice (besides get out of the business!)....

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone
Server Admin