Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 07:22:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jeff <jeff@cc602670-a.flrtn1.occa.home.com>
To:        andrew@cream.org (Andrew Boothman)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matrox Millenium II 4MB - Resolution

> Hi!
>
> I've got a Matox Millenium II 4MB installed in my 3.1-RELEASE system.

> Under XF86Setup, I've tried selecting different resolutions, but the X server
> refuses to start if a resolution higher then 640x480 is chosen. I've definately
> got the correct card selected from the list in XF86Setup, and I've told it how
> much RAM is on the card, because the README says that memory probing can be a
> problem.
>
> One possible reason is the monitor which I got second-hand, and hence I don't
> know much about it. I'd say it's about 14"-15" and is a Digital PCXBV-SC but
> doesn't appear to be mentioned on Digital's web site. Is it possible that the
> monitor is able to stop the X server from starting?
>
> I'd be really greatful for any help or comments. 640x480 is far to painful! :-)
>
> Many thanks.
>
> ---
> Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
> http://sour.cream.org
> Unmetered Telecoms. Join the Fight!
> http://www.unmetered.org.uk

Hello-I use the same card on a Gateway 15 inch moniter and there are two things
that are a MUST have when you set up X-One is the Virticle frequency (on mine
it is 50-120Hz and I have to enter it as there is no specific catagory) and the
other is the Horizontal sync (again on mine it is catagory 8, that is my moniter
has a max resolution of 1200x1024 at 60MHz, if memory serves correct that is
catagory 8). These two are independant values and entered separately from the amount
of memory the card has. I am not at all familiar with your moniter but suspect these
two values may be your problem-With out the two sync values X will default to
680x480-Of course your situation may vary-You don't say much else on the problem
so this is only a GuESS-Hope this will help some-Good Luck
Jeff Phillips