Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:39:38 -0500
From:      csg@waterspout.com (C. Stephen Gunn)
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Outdated rdist in FreeBSD Base

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:30:33 MST, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> But surely thats what the rdist5 port would solve? If there are protocol
> incompatabilities (and csg seems to think otherwise) then you or someone
> who understands the issues just needs to write up something for the
> handbook, stick a pointer to it in RELNOTES.TXT, and people with legacy
> installations will know to install rdist5, not rdist6.

Perhaps we should fix the rdist6 implementation to not look for
"oldrdist" but to look for /usr/local/bin/rdist5.  Then again, I'm
still looking why the protocols are that different.

I know there are enhancements, but I've not ascertained what they
all are yet.  I still (reluctantly) advocate removing rdist from
the base system, but the question of BSD44 products (rdist, csh)
that aren't in the base any more is still unanswered.

There have been several things bugging me about rdist 6, and this
pushed it on my "investigate and repair as necessary" list.

 - Steve

--
C. Stephen Gunn                          URL: http://www.waterspout.com/
WaterSpout Communications, Inc.        Email: csg@waterspout.com