Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:33:39 +0000
From:      Lee Johnston <lee@wildcard.net.uk>
To:        Mihai Nitulescu <mihaissa@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: public ip address behind nat

Hi there,
Basically because NAT is altering all packets leaving on rl0 on your 'nat'
machine, to the outside world the packets leaving your network, from 'app'
machine will appear to be from your 'nat' machines external interface.

The way to get around this is to tell natd not to perform NAT on IP
addresses that are public (i.e. not unregistered addresses as defined in
RFC1918, so not the 192.168. range and the others).

Easy way to do this is to pass natd the -unregistered_only option. Man page
for natd explains this a bit better.

You will only be able to route via your 'nat' box if your ISP has routed
that block of IPs to your external IP on the box.. Hope that makes sense.

Regards,
Lee.