Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 02:20:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Mike <Mike.Wemyss@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help - New user

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Mike wrote:
> I would really appreciate some advice on what release I would be best using.
> Also some quick instructions on what files/folders I should be downloading
> from the FTP site for installing what ever a basic/learning user would
> require.

	Welcome aboard, Mike.  :)  Judging from the description that you
gave (which I deleted) it looks like your best bet in FreeBSD would be one
of the following:

1) Download the installer floppies for 4.1.  There's a useful MS-DOS
utility which will take the downloaded images and turn them into a pair of
foppy disks.  These, plus an Internet connection that can stay up for a
day or more (assuming fast modem) is the way to go for an intro to FreeBSD
without spending more then $1 on it.

2) Order a copy of The Complete FreeBSD, 3rd Edition with the 4.1 CD-ROMs.
This will cost about $70 (US dollars, that is) plus tax or shipping
(depending on how you get it).  Its well worth it in my opinion,
though.  I started with FreeBSD after learning some general Unix skill
from installing NetBSD once and using the Ultrix server at school.  I
bought this book when it was ony 2nd edition and version 2.2.1 of the
CD-ROMs and I was glad for the documentation.

	As to what version you should use, anything that ends in
"-Release" or "-Stable" or has no suffix at all.  The "-Current" versions
(e.g. 4-Current) and SNAP verions are meant for experienced people.  I
usually use a *-Stable version when I upgrade.  The computer I'm sitting
in front of at this moment is a 4.0-Stable system and I'm currently
connected to two 4.1-Stable systems.

	I hope that this helped.  Good luck with it!

							Jaime